Flacq Hospital is situated in the East of Mauritius at Centre de Flacq in the district of Flacq. It provides services for the Health Region 3 for a population of 170,000 inhabitants covering essentially the district of Flacq under the directorate of a Regional Health Director (RHD).
The Regional Health Director is also responsible for the Primary Health Care of the region which is provided through:
24 Community Health Centres 4 Area Health Centres 1 mediclinic
which are spread throughput the Health Region 3.
After the First World War, a high increase of tuberculosis and pulmonary diseases was witnessed and the Central Police Station in the East was converted into a District hospital in 1922.Flacq Hospital had then 78 beds divided into 2 male wards, 1 female ward, 1 Paediatric ward, 1 Gynaecological ward and a department of Accident and Emergency managed by Dr Limberty and two other colleagues.
In July 1983, the then Prime Minister laid the foundation stone for an X-ray department.
In August 1983, a minor surgery service was opened.
In February 1997, it was upgraded into a Regional Hospital and a Medical Ward and a Paediatric Warda medical ward and a Paediatric ward were inaugurated in the new hospital complex.
The following units were then added: Gynecology & Obstetrics, General Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery and Anaesthesiology Unit.
In 2000, SAMU services were started. (Emergency Medical Services)
In Feb 2000, an Intensive Care Unit was inaugurated.
In July 2010, 24-Hour Cardiology services were started.