The Regional hospital Dr A. Gaffoor Jeetoo is situated in the district of Port Louis in the Capital itself.
It provides services to the sanitary area No 1 which covers the towns Port Louis and Beau Bassin and the following villages: Q. Militaire, Dagotiere, St Julien d’hotman, Camp Thorel, L’esperance, St. Pierre, Moka, Le Hochet, Petite Riviere, Albion and Bambous etc.
Within its catchments area there are 2 Specialised Hospitals: S. Bharati Eye Hospital situated at Moka and Brown Sequard Hospital (psychiatric) situated at Beau Bassin.
There are also 25 Community Health Centres and 6 Area Health Centres within its catchments area.
The first 40-bed hospital of the capital built in 1733 under governor de Maupin at Edith Cavell Street was destroyed by a cyclone. In January 1740 governor Labourdonnais opened the first wing of a new 240-bed hospital called Civil Hospital at the seaport while the second wing completed in June 1740 took the name of Military Hospital
Buildings at Monsieur Street, designed to become the Royal College of Port Louis in January 1815, were destroyed by a violent cyclone in 1892. In December 1892, the foundation stone for a new college was laid down and the opening took place in September 1895. But confronted with the smallpox epidemic in May 1898, the Civil Hospital was transferred to these new buildings and the students were transferred to the Royal College of Curepipe.
Reiterated proposals since 1860 to build a hospital in the capital at Plaine-Lauzun did not succeed and in October 1905 it was decided to maintain the Civil Hospital at Monsieur Street. From this time onwards the hospital has known several attempts at extension and renovation.
In November 1984, the Civil Hospital was renamed Dr Abdool Gaffoor Jeetoo Hospital after a well-known pre-independent political leader who died in January 1961.